for 1st Round Online Judging
45% Invention Process
15 Identifying & Understanding
- How did the inventor identify the problem？
- Who may have the problem?
- What research did the inventor do to understand the problem?
- Are there any existing solutions may address to the problem?
- How did the inventor break down the problem into sub-questions?
- Did the inventor provide solutions to each sub-question?
- Did the inventor evaluate the demand and the possibility of the potential solution?
10 Designing & Building
- How did the inventor start the design?
- Was the inventor clear about every process of the designing?
- Can the inventor identify the problems occurred in the designing and building process? How did the inventor handle these challenges?
- Why did the inventor choose these materials for the building?
- Did the inventor know how does each part work in the invention?
10 Testing & Refining
- Did the inventor test the invention?
- Is the inventor able to explain the reasons of choosing the test method and the testing process?
- Did the inventor identify any problems in the testing process? And did the inventor have any thoughts or understandings towards the problems.
- How did the inventor come up with improvements after testing?
- Has the inventor come up with other alternatives? What made the inventor choose this solution?
25% Invention Impact
15 Market & Value
- Did the inventor have a clear understanding of the market?
- What market research did the inventor do? And how did the inventor understand the market from the research?
- Did the inventor evaluate the cost and value of the invention?
- Did the inventor fully understand both the positive and negative potential impact the invention may have to the society and environment?
- Is the invention unique, novel and creative?
- Is the invention distinguishable from other existing solutions?
- To what extent did the inventor contribute to the originality of the invention?
- Did the inventor do any research on similar existing inventions?
- Did inventors clearly state the advance and value of the invention based on their research on similar existing inventions?
- Does the logbook show the invention process? Is it a record of the inventing process or a summary after the invention?
- Does the logbook show the inventor’s thinking on the seven steps of the invention?
- Does the logbook include the questions or problems encountered during the inventing process and with the record of the further actions taken or solutions proposed?
7 Display Board
- Does the display board have strong visual appeal?
- Is the display board in conformity with other materials and the inventor’s pitch？
- Does the display board present the inventor’s designing purpose?
8 Prototype or Model
- Does the prototype clearly communicate the key characteristics that make the invention valuable, usable and unique?
- Is the prototype in conformity with the inventor’ notion, display board and other materials？
7 Pitch Video
- Did the inventor present the invention completely including the idea, process, model and how does it work.
- Did the inventor demonstrate the uniqueness and originality of the invention?
- Was the pitch in conformity with other materials?
- Was the pitch clear, fluent and confident?